Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love on Valentine's Day



Matt liked his post-it note surprise from the 3 of us. Later, I asked him if we've ever done anything on Valentine's Day, and we both don't think so, haha. He may have given me flowers or something the year we dated.

Stevie ended up making his card for Daddy with the stamps. I guess I was brave enough, and really, he did a great job! It was his first time with stamps and an ink pad. I think the Bingo dot markers helped a little with the "process" of stamping or dotting instead of coloring with the stamp. He tried wiping or coloring the stamp but got the idea quickly. And, he only had one smudged stamp on his hand when I walked away for a second. We were able to wipe that off, and I told him when he was all done making the card, I would give him one stamp on his hand. He was happy about that.

The rest of the day was pretty normal...until diaper change time after naps. Stevie kept asking for his truck. I was going through the "list" of his trucks in his toy basket and none of those were what he was wanting. "Ohh, you want your fire truck." His favorite truck of all, I should have known that's what he wanted. I had forgotten about it because it was taken away for a few days. My intention was for it to be taken away for an afternoon (for crashing it into his sister). Well, time went on, and Stevie was happy playing with other toys, so I decided to keep well enough alone and bring it out later. I went over the ground rules of playing with the truck nicely, and if he could do that, Mommy would go get it.

I went to our room. We had done some major re-organization of our upstairs, but I remembered exactly where it had been. It wasn't there. Thus began a huge hunt. It was no where to be found. I went through everything under our bed, in our closet, and in our "attic" area off of our bedroom. No fire truck. I was totally stumped. Matt came home, and he was stumped too. I had to find this fire truck. I gave Stevie my word that I would give it to him, and it was so important to me that I follow through....and important to him....and it was his favorite truck. So, the only place left I could think of was to search in our trash. If you know me, that's love. I have an awful time with bad smells. Matt has to wash out old milk sippy cups for me because I can't do it. I quickly realized my arms were too short to reach into the big green dumpster-like garbage can (a little inexperienced at this), so I had to tip it over and "climb" in. Most of our garbage is diapers. Need I say more? I held my breath, determined to find his truck. It didn't appear to be there. I decided to search our bedroom for the 3rd time. At this point, I was ready to announce we were going out to buy a new truck (which is very unusual for our house...but it was that important to me), when for the ridiculousness of it, I decided to check the hamper. It seemed to have filled up quicker than usual. Sure enough, there was his truck.

We still have no idea how or why it was in the hamper, but we were all thankful the lost was found, and Stevie was so thrilled to be reunited with his favorite truck. Happy Valentine's Day, Stevie.

No comments: