1. Who is your man? Matthew ...Matt, Bubba, Man, etc.
2. How long have you been together? I got this wrong at our church shower...what exactly is together? We have so many "dates": We met May 22, 2005, he called me for the first time Sept 11, 2005, he came home and we spent time together every day starting Dec 14, 2005, we started courting Dec 23?, 2005, we were engaged May 20, 2006 and married Dec 16, 2006. (None of these dates were planned either, cool huh?)Umm, I guess for 2 1/2 years since we started courting. We've been married for almost a year and a half.
3. How long dated? Matt courted me for 5 months.
4. How old is your man? 27
5. Who eats more? He does
6. Who said “I love you” first? Matt did after he proposed and then I said it to him
7. Who is taller? He is by about 10 inches
8. Who sings better? He does
9. Who is smarter? I think he is, but we make a good team! :)
10. Whose temper is worse? In the car, me, when it comes to work, him.
11. Who does the laundry? At home, I usually do. I guess right now, we both do, on completely different sides of the world.
12. Who takes out the garbage? I do. Matt used to and will when he comes home ;)
13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? It depends how we have our bed arranged or where it is in the hotel or barracks (...did I say that?) He sleeps closer to the door wherever that is. He's my protector!
14. Who pays the bills? I do with his money.
15. Who is better with the computer? Definitely Matt.
16. Who mows the lawn? Some guy the landlord pays.
17. Who cooks dinner? Right now, good question. Before, we often did it together, or he would or I would.
18. Who drives when you are together? Usually him, it's safer.
19. Who pays when you go out? Usually Matt.
20. Who is most stubborn? That may depend on the situation.
21. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Probably Matt...sometimes I jokingly string it out and make "excuses"
22. Whose parents do you see the most? Mine
23. Who kissed who first? Matthew, you may kiss your bride...He did! It was kinda wet...hahahaha.
24. Who asked who out? I certainly didn't ask him, but I think I encouraged it
25. Who proposed? Matt did
26. Who is more sensitive? I am
27. Who has more friends? Most of ours are sort of the same ...I think we're about equal.
28. Who has more siblings? Me.
29. Who wears the pants in the family? He does, but again, I think we make a good team!
30. How did you meet? Well, 3 years ago today, we met at church.
Would you like to hear the story?
My mom tried several times to direct my attention to different guys. I think she was just excited for the time when I would meet "the one" and fall in love. I knew (well, hoped!) if there was a guy out there worthy of my love (haha), he would pursue me and sort of "do the work" to win me over. So, I wasn't one to go out of my way to talk with guys I didn't know. I am pretty old fashioned when it comes to relationships, and I certainly was not the flirty type. I never "dated" until Matt came along.
It was finals week of my junior year of college. Matt's older brother was attending our church and my mom heard a few things about his younger brother, Matt. She told me once that I should "check this guy out." I had seen a couple pictures of him and thought he was handsome. I also always had a respect for men willing to sacrifice all for our freedom, our country. However, I never dreamed, hoped, or thought I would marry a man in the military. This particular week, Mom had reason to think Matt would attend the Young Adult Bible Study with his brother because he was home on leave. I hadn't been a part of that study because I had classes on the night it met that semester. Since it was finals week, I didn't have class. I needed money for something so my mom gave me...I can't remember if it was $5 or $10 and told me I had to go to the Bible study then. I took the money but didn't go, very typical of me. She found out I didn't go and I had to pay her back! I think this part is so funny and one of my favorite memories. My mom has NEVER paid me to do something, I mean, beyond giving me money to pick up some things from the store for her...that I can remember. So, I think Sunday rolled around and Matt didn't join his brother in church, and we thought he was headed back to Hawaii where he was stationed. Don't you know, the next Sunday, I was getting ready for church and having a horrible time fixing my hair. My hair is the thickest, puffiest, frizziest mess you ever did see. I have yet to find a way I really like it. Anyway, I was getting frustrated, like usual, and I remember saying to myself, "Who cares? It's not like I have anybody to impress anyway!" God certainly has a sense of humor. Who walked into church that morning? My tall, handsome, strapping Matthew! I remember being so paranoid the whole sunday school and service thinking he had wind of my mom trying to set us up...and if his brother was in on it...ugh. Matt is convinced that I looked at him at least 5 times (apparently he was counting) during church, but I strongly disagree. There is NO way I would've made eye contact with him...I didn't and wouldn't do that. After church, I scrambled. I didn't want to be caught alone in case he did happen to come over. That's why I went and stood by my parents in the door way...haha. I did not want sole attention on me in any way. Yes, this may sound ridiculous. However, if you are familiar with our church, you know it is very small. I couldn't just blend in very easily. He and his brother went to the door, and Matt was introduced to my parents first. They gave him a big hug. Then we were introduced. He shook my hand. I think this is hysterical...so me. I am not "huggy" and my parents are. No way am I going to throw a big hug around some guy. His handshake was quite manly, and he looked me in the eye. That caught my attention and both of those things were secretly important to me for a "potential" husband. I noticed his shoes, his adidas running shoes....they were the same ones my dad had. I mentally noted that. (Later, I thought it would make a cute country song. The man who wore my daddy's shoes....or something like that, but I don't mean for that to sound creepy...anyway). I don't remember saying much more than my name. My mom and dad talked about me, and I hoped for the time to be over. He left phew. I didn't really think I'd see or hear from him again.
From Matt's perspective, he thought I was looking at him during church. When he first saw me, he guessed I was around 15 years old, 17 at most! (He called me "jail bait") Close, I was 21, quite legal. He did learn I was in college as my mom shared about my running and different "accomplishments"...haha. Apparently, I caught his attention. He thought I had pretty eyes, and he also liked my smile. However, he also thought I had a bit of an attitude, a reserved attitude, trying to give off the impression I was "not available" or taken by some other young man. As he left, he told me later, he said under his breath, "Whoever he is, he's a lucky guy." Almost 4 months later, he got the courage to call! He was the one I waited for!
* :) I love you!! Thank you for pursuing me and giving me the chance!