Monday, April 26, 2010

Dear Stephen

These are my favorite posts to write. I'd like to share with you what I love most about our days together.

*You are a morning boy! You jabber in your crib and call out when you wake up. As soon as I walk into your room in the morning, you're usually waiting, watching for that door to open with a big smile! I love seeing your bright face, ready to start the day every morning. We sing, "Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory" and you don't care how my voice sounds...with the morning crackilies and out of tunedness. You smile and roll around your crib, tossing your burp cloth around, very excited.

*You snuggle during your morning bottle. I keep you in your pjs till after your morning nap so you can stay warm and snuggly. We hop up into Mommy and Daddy's bed, and you sit on my lap to drink your bottle. You gently stroke your own head, or reach up for my cheek or hair. You usually run your hands through a curly strand of mine gently...but sometimes you do give a good yank. Yes, Stevie, it's still attached to my head, or at least it was!

*I like to watch you as you play. Sometimes you laugh at your wondrous abilities and new skills. It's a joy! You still love books, and now you've discovered the lift a flap (or, Uncle Jon calls them rip a flap) pages in your Jesus Walking on the Water book. You think it's the coolest! You'll flip through your books for a long time, and you still love story time. It's such a reward to rock and read to my happy boy. The crying and trying times of the day are wiped away in those rocking and snuggling moments.

*I still think it's funny to watch you lift the toys that are supposed to stay on the ground...as well as some of our furniture pieces, so you can figure them out or fix them. We might be moving in a month or so, so rest up those muscles! We could use them!

*When I change your diaper, it seems to be conversation time. You often tell me all about dadadadada. I ask about Mama. And you say, dadada....gagaga. If you wrestle me at changing time, usually all I have to do is start singing. You love music. Many songs are changed just for you. I sing "You are my Sunshine" and often sing "You are my Stephen (or Stevie)." Sometimes you get a singy voice yourself. We also sing "If You're Happy and You Know it" and use actions you can do. When you were younger, you found it funny when I'd sing "Swing low" in a deep voice.

*Sometimes when we're sitting next to each other (often if we're out to eat too), you'll reach over and pull yourself into my arm and nuzzle your head into it. Melt my heart! I love you too, Stephen!

*You're ticklish behind your neck, and the expression you make, tucking your head into your shoulders with your giggles...is so cute and makes everyone smile. If we're both on the floor, you'll lean into me with your head down, giggling, egging me on to tickle you more. It's hilarious!

*You like to get involved when I fold laundry. You take all the clothes out of the basket and sometimes shake them...maybe it's just to see how many times I will fold them. I need to get quicker at moving the folded laundry out of your reach.

*You absolutely love going outside. When I put my sneakers on, you just know...or you at least hope that I'm going outside and you're coming too. You sit and wait patiently for me to go out and get the stroller and come back for you. We walk up and down the driveway until Daddy gets home from work, and you couldn't be happier.

*You're crawling now and becoming much more bold! I have to keep the computer cords out of the way, along with my purse, the phone, my shoes (still a favorite)...pretty much everything that is not your toy. It takes you moments for the Stephen tornado to whip through a room and cause a big mess. Sometimes I feel like I'm doing the same things over and over all day...not accomplishing much, but you're worth it!

*You are a sight in the bathtub with your curly, wet head as you splash and try to figure out the water. I put bubbles in for the first time a week or so ago, and you tried to find your hands under them. What a treat to watch!

*After you finish your bedtime bottle, I pray softly in your ear, with your head and sleepy self draped over my shoulder. I try to etch those times into my memory and heart because I will not be able to rock you forever. If I take a little longer than usual, you notice, and your little head pops up. I understand that's the signal you're ready to get in your own bed now...enough of this mushy stuff.

*By the time morning comes or your nap is over (even if it's been short), I so look forward to seeing you and getting you up. Sometimes, I'll ask Daddy if he'll get you up, and I end up coming upstairs too. I just don't want to miss a moment of this!

I love you so much, Stephen! I'm so thankful for the days we've had and the normal or adventurous days we have to come!

Love always and with a kiss,
Mom

No comments: