I know, I know. I keep saying I want to try cloth diapers. Maybe you're tired of hearing about it. I was all ready to order some when I realized I have even more questions. I am just going to dump them here and hope all you experts can help a girl out! Some of them are probably dumb...but here it goes anyway.
Background: I am planning to buy some Flips and some prefolds (because they're cheaper) and covers. (I also figured I could use some prefolds when in need of "doubling" up.) Stevie apparently has sensitive skin. He has a pretty bad rash right now from trying some disposable diaper booster pads in his overnight diapers. We're still thinking of just using overnight disposable diapers at night and cloth diapers during the day.
1. Is my son going to experience diaper rash with prefolds since they aren't fancy at pulling the moisture away?
2. What is the difference between Chinese and Indian prefolds? What do you prefer? What does premium mean...do they hold more? Doesn't any store sell them so I don't have to order online?
3. I am looking at detergents and my head spins. (I'm not up to making my own yet.) I like the sound of Rockin green, but maybe I should go with the actual Bumgenius detergent if I'm getting their brand diapers (keeping warranty in mind)? Every kind I'm reading is showing some sort of problem with some people...either with stink or stains or whatever. With the Flip, I'm planning on the stay dry inserts...so they're microfiber, which I heard becomes stinky. Do I want to spend lots of money trying out detergents? No.
4. If detergent is so important...do I need to use cloth diaper detergent with all my laundry? Will my regular detergent leave build up in my washer...transferring to my cloth diapers?
5. How many times do I really wash the diapers...as in rinses and washes? Do I only put detergent in once?
6. Do you use a bag or an open pail for your dirty diapers? Does it need to be special? Do you rinse your diapers right away to get some pee/mess out? I rinsed his clothes by hand right away to get the blowouts out.
7. I've heard of using wipes (washing and drying them as long as they last) for liners until their used with a poopy diaper. Do those need to be washed separately from the diapers to get their "soapy-ness" out? Anyone used like Kushies disposable liners? Did they cause irritation?
8. I also want a liner option for when my little guy gets a rash...to use diaper cream. So, what do you do when your little one gets a rash?
9. Stevie's a heavy wetter. Are there really any good doublers that are worth it and cheaper than more inserts...or should I just buy more of the Flip inserts to double up?
10. How do you know how much detergent to use? How does it vary depending on front loader and top loader? Does powder or liquid detergent matter? We are hoping to move in a couple of months...and we're not sure what kind we'll have yet.
Hmm, what this probably boils down to is this: I don't want to buy all these diapers (though I'm going to start small), and mess them up or make this a big waste of time and money. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill...help, please! :)